USEPA has published a pre-publication notice of a proposed rule amendment to TSCA's Inventory Update Reporting (IUR) rule, promulgated under Section 8(a) of TSCA. The IUR rule requires manufacturers (including importers) of certain chemical substances to report information about the manufacturing, processing and use of those chemicals. The proposed changes include:
- Requiring electronic reporting
- New definition for manufacture and site
- To shorten the reporting period to every 4 years instead of every 5 years
- Modify the method used to determine what a manufacturer or importer is subject to reporting
- To eliminate the 300,000 lb. processing and use threshold
- To eliminate the 25,000 lb. reporting threshold for certain chemicals
- Disallowing confidentiality claims for processing and use data identified as not "known to or reasonably ascertainable by"